Tuesday 18 June 2013

Review: Higher or Lower? Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish or Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser?

Today I will be comparing the cult Liz Earle cleanser to a similar but much cheaper product from Superdrug. Both are creamy cleansers which are supposed to be used in conjunction with a warm muslin cloth, although similar in that respect they both come from different price points. Which will win, will it be the Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish or Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser?


The Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser starter kit retails at £14.75, it includes two muslin cloths and 100ml of product in a pump bottle. The Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser retails at £5.99 for 150mls and a muslin cloth. You get a lot more product for your money with the Superdrug cleanser in comparison to the Liz Earle but the Superdrug cleanser is on offer regularly. I've only ever purchased this product while it has been on offer, so in terms of price the Superdrug cleanser is the best value for volume of product.

The Liz Earle starter kit comes with a small waterproof bag so you can store your wet muslin cloth inside it while travelling. I always had to take a nappy bag to carry my wet Superdrug cloth if I was travelling otherwise everything would get soaked and the cloth would get grubby. I like that the starter kit comes with two good quality cloths because they do need washing regularly, Liz Earle advises to wash them every three uses. After about two weeks use and several times through the washing machine the Superdrug cloth starts to look a little worse for wear. I've been using my Superdrug cloth for nearly 3 months now and it is looking very dog eared as you can see from the picture above. Both cloths are quite soft but effective but I do prefer the Liz Earle cloths because they are of a higher quality and look less shabby after multiple uses.

I think the pump bottle makes the Liz Earle product better to travel with but also much easier to use because you can control the amount you use. When the Superdrug cleanser is nearing it's end it is difficult to squeeze the right amount out. I use just less than a pump of Liz Earle and about the same amount of product of the Superdrug one. Generally the Superdrug cleanser lasts me just under 4 months if using both morning and night. I imagine the Liz Earle will last me a little less because there is 50ml less product.


In terms of texture the Liz Earle is much more oilier in comparison to the Superdrug product which is creamy. The Liz Earle is also thicker and more dense than the Superdrug cleanser but I do find the Liz Earle  easier to rub into my skin. On the picture above you can see a little bit more shine from the the Liz Earle where it has been rubbed in. This is down to the high amount of essential oils in the product. Liz Earle contains rosemary and eucalyptus oils which combine to have a quite pungent smell that I personally like. The Superdrug cleanser just smells like a general chemical cream smell, it isn't a bad smell by any means but it doesn't smell as nice as the Liz Earle.

When I'm using both products I like to take my eye make up off first using a separate cleanser (there will be a review coming up) just so I don't make my cloths too dirty. Although you can use both cleansers as eye make up removers I find that the Superdrug cleanser is much better at this, the Liz Earle product left me with some mascara residue. Both are effective at removing foundation and general grime without making the skin feel tight which is excellent for people with dry skin. Neither product has broken me out and they seem to have the same effect on my skin.

It is really difficult to decide which product I like more because they both have their bonuses. If the Superdrug cleanser smelled better, came in a pump bottle with high quality cleaning cloths and a waterproof bag for £5.99 then it'd be a clear winner, but sadly it doesn't. I think it is worth paying the extra money to get all of these things from Liz Earle if you can afford it, but if you can't then I think the Superdrug cleanser would be a suitable substitute especially because it doesn't do anything different to my skin. If the Liz Earle cleanser was more expensive then I don't think it would be worth the money even with all the extras. The Liz Earle will remain as my travel cleanser as it is more transportable than the Superdrug product and I will use the Liz Earle cloths with the Superdrug cleanser.

The Superdrug Naturally Radiant Brightening Hot Cloth Cleanser is available in store and on Superdrug.com
The Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser is available in department stores and on LizEarle.com

If you are on a tight budget go for Superdrug but if you want the little extras that come with Liz Earle then it is worth spending the money.

3 comments:

  1. Ta for linking me to this post :) I've read so many reviews on this product, and it's a shame that as with any other HCC I've tried, my skin hates it. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are just some products that don't suit certain types of skin, it's so annoying but you will find a great product that will suit you!
      x

      Delete
  2. Tried both products and swear by the liz earle for travel as it comes in mini sizes but can honestly say that the superdrug naturally radiant is just as good. You can save a few quid by going for the superdrug option but both are equally worth the money in my opinion

    ReplyDelete

Did you know that in the film Toy Story, Sid's hallway carpet is the same design as the hallway carpet in The Shining? That's well creepy.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeres Jonny!